Shrove Tuesday is a whole three weeks away (February 16th), but we just can’t wait. Here’s some Waitrose pancake recipes to treat yourself right now
Sweetcorn & Red Onion Pancakes
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Cooks’ Ingredients Red Chilli, seeded and chopped
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 essential Waitrose Sweetcorn Cobs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 20g pack fresh coriander, chopped
1. Place the garlic, chilli, sugar and vinegar together in a small pan and add 100ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3–5 minutes until the chilli is soft and the sauce reduced by half. Remove from the heat, then pour into a small dish and leave to cool. Cook the corn cobs in a pan of boiling water for 5–6 minutes until the corn kernels are tender. Drain and scrape the sweetcorn from the cobs using a sharp knife.
2. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl with seasoning. Make a well in the centre. Whisk the egg yolks and milk together and whisk into the flour to make a very thick batter. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff and then fold into the batter.
3. Fold the corn, onion and chopped coriander through the batter mixture. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the pan and cook for a minute or two on each side until golden. Keep warm on a plate in the oven while you cook the rest. Serve garnished with fresh coriander and the dipping sauce.
Chicken Tikka Pancakes with Mango Chutney
- 125g plain flour
- 1 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 x 300g packs Waitrose British Chicken Breast Chunks In A Spiced Tikka Marinade
- 4 salad onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp Geeta’s Premium Mango Chutney
- 4 tbsp low fat Greek yogurt
1. Sift the flour and a pinch of salt together into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and half the milk. Whisk together well then stir in the rest of the milk to make a smooth batter. Stir in the chilli and cumin, and set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Reserve 1 tbsp of the oil, then heat a little of the remaining oil in an 18cm pancake pan or shallow frying pan and add a ladleful of the batter. Swirl it around the pan and cook for 1–2 minutes each side until golden. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make 8 pancakes, keeping them warm, separated with sheets of kitchen paper.
3. Heat the rest of the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and cook the chicken for 10–12 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through with no pink meat. Divide the chicken between the pancakes, putting it on one quarter of the pancake, and top with the salad onions, mango chutney and yogurt. Fold up the pancakes to make parcels, and serve.
Lemon & Ricotta Hotcakes with Blueberry Syrup
- 250g ricotta
- 90g self-raising flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 3 Waitrose & Partners British Blacktail Large Free Range Eggs, separated
- 2 lemons, zest
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp extra thick half fat cream
- For the blueberry cardamom syrup:
- 150g blueberries
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 cardamom pods, cracked open
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
1. For the syrup, put ½ the blueberries in a small saucepan with the maple syrup, cardamom and vanilla. Bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer gently for 3-4 minutes until the berries have just burst. Take off the heat, stir in the remaining blueberries and set aside to cool.
2. For the hotcakes, put the ricotta, flour, sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest and a pinch of salt to a large mixing bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon. In a separate bowl, using electric beaters, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, then fold into the ricotta mixture.
3. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat with 1 tbsp butter. Fry 3 hotcakes at a time (it makes 6 in total), using 2 dessert spoonfuls of the mixture per hotcake, and frying for about 3 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining 1 tbsp butter and hotcake mixture. Serve with the blueberry syrup (discard the cardamom pods) and a dollop of cream.
Perfect Buttermilk Pancakes with Chocolate Sauce
For the chocolate sauce:
- 100ml essential Waitrose Double Cream
- 1 Cooks’ Ingredients Chipotle Chilli, roughly chopped
- 200g Divine Fairtrade 70% Dark Chocolate
For the pancakes:
- 150g essential Waitrose Plain Flour
- Pinch of table salt
- 25g golden caster sugar
- 4 essential Waitrose Free Range Eggs
- 100ml whole milk
- 100ml buttermilk
- 40g essential Waitrose Dairy Butter
- 4 tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
- Duchy Originals from Waitrose Organic Vanilla Ice Cream, to serve
1.To make the sauce, gently warm the cream and chilli in a pan then leave to infuse for 10 minutes. Break the chocolate into a bowl and place on top of a pan of simmering water, making sure the base doesn’t touch the water, and allow to melt slowly while stirring.
2. Strain the warmed cream into the melted chocolate and stir. Discard the chilli. Keep the sauce warm while you make the pancakes.
3. Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the salt and half the sugar. In a separate dish, crack 2 eggs into the milk. Separate the remaining 2 eggs and add the yolks to the milk.
4. Add the buttermilk to the milk and eggs and whisk together. Slowly pour into the flour, whisking gently but being careful not to overmix.
5. In a separate bowl, add the remaining sugar to the egg whites, whisk until light and fluffy then fold into the batter mixture in 2 stages.
6. Heat a little butter and oil in a non-stick pan. Depending on the size of your pan, drop up to 5 large tablespoons of the pancake mix into it and fry each pancake for 40 seconds until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip over and fry for a further 40 seconds, then remove. Repeat in batches with the rest of the batter to make 18-24 pancakes.
7. Divide the pancakes between 6 plates and top each with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce. Serve swiftly.
Thousands of recipes can be found at www.waitrose.com/recipes