The charity baking spin-off is back, with new celebrities and new showstoppers. The Great Celebrity Bake Off in partnership with Stand Up to Cancer returned last night at 8pm. For the past three series the show has aimed to raise funds for cancer research as part of Channel 4’s annual charity drive.
This year, 20 celebrities will enter the tent from Star Wars star Daisy Ridley to Little Mix singer Jade Thirlwall. With four bakers competing each week, the series will likely air for five weeks with each celeb facing a Signature Challenge, Technical and Showstopper. But, only one can walk away with the Star Baker apron.
This week in the tent were Star Wars star Daisy Ridley, comedian Rob Beckett, singer Alexandra Burke and comedian Tom Allen.
Their Signature Challenge was to make a classic traybake, Millionaire shortbread. In the technical, they were asked to make vegan chocolate and raspberry tarts and finally their showstopper was to bake a 3D cake representing their biggest bug bear – or shall we say, the thing that annoys them most.
Candice’s Favourite Moments:
- Matt Lucas’ introduction with Daisy Ridley
- Tom Allen: His shortbread getting stuck in the freezer. Not being able to work the stand mixer. Getting grossed out by butter. His reaction to his own showstopper — I love him.
- Paul Hollywood’s fake-out handshake.
- Matt Lucas’ making Alexandra Burke nervous while she’s making salted caramel.
- Prue’s reaction to Alexandra’s shortbread in the showstopper.
Faye’s Favourite Moments:
- When Prue said: “I always love it when the celebs mess up.”
- Rob’s Ferrero Rocher shortbread – incredible.
- Rob’s confidence throughout.
- Prue respecting vegan bakers by creating a vegan technical challenge.
- Matt’s Yoda impression.
- Prue’s face when she first saw Tom’s cake.